University abbrev.

GEORGE THOMPSON thompsng at ELMER4.BOBST.NYU.EDU
Wed Oct 27 20:28:13 UTC 1999

While my daughter was a student at NYU, the undergraduate liberal
arts college was called the "Washington Square and University
College" of Arts and Sciences, abbreviated WSUC.  This cumbersome
name was hit upon to show the genealogy of the school, which was
at Washington Square but had inherited programs from the University
Heights campus when that was abandoned.  My daughter pronounced this
abbreviation as We Suck, no doubt following the usage of her
classmates in the school.  The university changed the name of the
school a few years ago to College of Arts and Sciences, or CAS.  If
the students have found an obscene pronunciation for this, my son
hasn't taught it to me.

I might add that at this past year's commencement ceremony, one of
the administrators made the extraordinary blunder in her speech of
referring to the university as N. Y. Jew.  I haven't heard that she
has been fired, but I trust at least that she has her resume up to
date.  It's past time for her to move on.

GAT