University abbrev. & sim.

Peter McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Thu Oct 28 18:23:49 UTC 1999

Hm!  I thought sure you were going to mention the treatment of "Saga"
as an acronym that was current back in Ancient Times when I was a
freshman at Lewis & Clark College in Portland.  L&C had Saga Foods,
too, and we referred to it fondly as the South American Garbage
Association.

Peter Mc.

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999 13:41:14 -0400 Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM wrote:

> At Earlham College, in Richmond, Ind., where my son is a freshman this
> year, the food service is called "Saga". Officially it's
> "Sodexho-Marriott" (a curious item in itself), so why...?
>
> Well, it *used* to be provided by a company called Saga, up till about
> 1990 +/- 4 years. A co-worker of mine who is an Earlham alumnus tells
> me that when he arrived in 1986 it was Saga, and when he graduated in
> 1994 (with a four-year leave in the middle) the service was provided by
> S-M (oh, my, try to save keystrokes and see what happens!)-- or at
> least Marriott-- but the dining hall itself and the food service were
> still *called* Saga. And so it remains even unto this day.
>
>    Mark A. Mandel : Senior Linguist and Manager of Acoustic Data
>          Mark_Mandel at dragonsys.com : Dragon Systems, Inc.  320 Nevada
> St., Newton, MA 02460, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com/
> (speaking for myself)

Peter A. McGraw