University abbrev. (and article usage with names)

A. Vine avine at ENG.SUN.COM
Thu Oct 28 20:21:32 UTC 1999

David Bowie wrote:

> Since i'm now also at a religious school, i find it interesting that there
> are some parallels. Brigham Young University also doesn't seem to have nasty
> nicknames; the most common nicknames are initial-based, calling it "BYU" or
> "the Y",

Which looks remarkably like the Yale Y, by the way. And in BYU sports uniforms,
there is only a big blue Y, rather than BYU.  I always wondered about that.

> [1] Getting married as an undergrad, i can *somewhat* understand. What i
> *really* can't understand, though, is getting married as an undergrad in the
> middle of the semester. Not even during a break in classes, just on a random
> weekend in the middle of the semester. I think i've hit culture shock.

I think this has more to do with strict religion than with the University
culture.  You see the same phenomenon amongst Orthodox Jews, for example, where
the time span between meeting and marrying is very short.

> David Bowie

Not THE David Bowie?...(couldn't resist)

Andrea