VIPS (more Mexican food)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Oct 29 03:39:29 UTC 1999

At 6:24 PM -0400 10/28/99, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>...    "Swiss enchiladas" (enchiladas Suizas) includes cream, melted
>cheese, green tomato, and chicken.  I asked my guide if they use Swiss
>cheese; he said they don't.  So why is it Swiss?  I didn't see them in
>Switzerland!!!

These were popular under the same name during my graduate school days (late
1960's) in Los Angeles.  I wondered about the lack of cheese, and surmised
that the name came from the appearance rather than the ingredients or
provenance--it looks very white, and hence Alpine.  (Maybe the bits of
green and brown poking out are various and sundry skiiers' limbs buried
under the snow.)

Larry