Sweaters

Aaron E. Drews aaron at LING.ED.AC.UK
Fri Oct 29 20:29:40 UTC 1999

Hello All,

I've enclosed a picture of an item of clothing.  What I'm wondering is:
would anybody call this item of clothing a sweatshirt?  If you don't call it
a sweatshirt, do you think younger people do, or your colleagues and peers?

The reason I ask is because I'm noticing quite a few people calling this a
sweatshirt in my data, where I would expect either sweater or jumper.  What
I want to know is if "sweatshirt" is a legitimate variant in any variety of
American English, or if my subjects are finding a way of avoiding having to
say either sweater or jumper, or if my subjects just plain can't tell the
difference from this picture.

Thanks for any help!

Aaron

Aaron E. Drews                               The University of Edinburgh
http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/~aaron      Departments of English Language and
aaron at ling.ed.ac.uk                    Theoretical & Applied Linguistics

 "MERE ACCUMULATION OF OBSERVATIONAL EVIDENCE IS NOT PROOF"
  --Death