Sweaters

Amy Speed speed at PARADIGMTECH.COM
Fri Oct 29 21:26:08 UTC 1999

Come to think of it, I had a friend in college who referred to sweaters as
"sweatshirts." I remember it used to drive me crazy. He grew up mostly in OK
and TX, though his parents are from CA. I don't know if that has anything to
do with it, though. And I'm in agreement with the female responses so far
... a jumper is a dress worn over a shirt.

Amy

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf
Of Aaron E. Drews
Sent: Friday, October 29, 1999 2:30 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Sweaters

Hello All,

I've enclosed a picture of an item of clothing.  What I'm wondering is:
would anybody call this item of clothing a sweatshirt?  If you don't call it
a sweatshirt, do you think younger people do, or your colleagues and peers?

The reason I ask is because I'm noticing quite a few people calling this a
sweatshirt in my data, where I would expect either sweater or jumper.  What
I want to know is if "sweatshirt" is a legitimate variant in any variety of
American English, or if my subjects are finding a way of avoiding having to
say either sweater or jumper, or if my subjects just plain can't tell the
difference from this picture.

Thanks for any help!

Aaron

Aaron E. Drews                               The University of Edinburgh
http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/~aaron      Departments of English Language and
aaron at ling.ed.ac.uk                    Theoretical & Applied Linguistics

 "MERE ACCUMULATION OF OBSERVATIONAL EVIDENCE IS NOT PROOF"
  --Death