[Fwd: scavenger hunt score keeping!]

Lynne Murphy M_Lynne_Murphy at BAYLOR.EDU
Fri Oct 29 22:21:24 UTC 1999

Hi ADSers--

The below is the message I sent to our campus linguistics e-list regarding
the end of the scavenger hunt.  What I don't say there is that only 2
students actually entered the contest!  Since several of you were
interested in trying this activity, I thought that the results would
interest you...

Lynne

Lynne Murphy wrote:

> Here are some answers for the Scavenger Hunt.  Read on for news of the
> results!  I've marked the answers with a couple of symbols.  % means
> everybody got this one right.  * means everybody got this one wrong.
>
> 1. the word for ‘cheese’ in Estonian
> % juust
>
> 2. the longest word in English that uses no letter more than once
> % uncopyrightable
>
> 3. the name, nationality, and profession of the inventor of the Volapük
> language
> % Johann Martin Schleyer, German priest
>
> 4. five languages spoken in the Philippines
> %  there are tons of these, but some of them are:  Tagalog, Cebuano,
> Ilocano, Mandarin, English, Palawano, Philipine Sign Language, Sama,
> etc.
>
> 5. a nine-letter English word that has only one syllable
> % strengths or screeched
>
> 6. the sound that a dog makes in Swedish
> % vov vov
>
> 7. a language that has only three vowel sounds
> There are a few of these: Gudanji, Aranda, Greenlandic, Amuesha, etc.
>
> 8. the 11 official languages of South Africa
> % Afrikaans, English, (isi)Ndebele, sePedi, seSotho, siSwati (Swazi),
> Tsonga (Shangaan), Setswana, Venda, Xhosa, Zulu
>
> 9. an English word that can be a verb, noun, adjective, and preposition
> (example sentences required)  There are a few of these:  out, down, etc.
>
> 10. the regional word for "drinking fountain" that's used in Wisconsin
> % bubbler
>
> 11. a university where American Sign Language courses count toward the
> foreign language requirement
> There are a few of these, listed at
> http://www.unm.edu/~wilcox/ASLFL/univlist.html:  But note that this list
> is misleading—e.g., Baylor U Arts & Sciences students can’t take ASL as
> foreign lg, but Baylor’s on the list because Education students can
  So
> [...]

> 31. a prefix or suffix that used to be part of English, but dropped out
> (and its use/meaning)
> % There are lots of these...  E.g., ge- for perfect aspect/tense on
> verbs and the various case suffixes for nouns.
>
> 32. a web site dedicated to careers or jobs in linguistics  (give URL)
> % People found a few of these, but here's one:
> http://web.gc.cuny.edu/dept/lingu/enter/
>
> 33. a word with two meanings, one of which is the opposite of the other
> % There are a few of these, e.g., temper = to harden/to soften, cleave =
> to split apart/stick together, sanction = approval/disapproval
>
> 34. a word written in Amharic (not using Latin alphabet, with
> translation)
> I can't reprint the Amharic alphabet here, so we'll leave this one to
> your imagination.
>
> 35. five sounds that the letter "q" symbolizes in different languages of
> the world (identify the sound and the language)
> Arabic: q = uvular stop; Xhosa / Zulu: q = (alveo)palatal click;
> Quechua: q = velar fricative; Albanian: q = palatal stop;
> English/Spanish/French = voiceless velar stop.
>
> 36. photocopies or print-outs of the American and British Sign Language
> alphabets
> % For BSL see www.deafblind.com/deafsign.html;  For ASL see
> www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0200808.html
>
> 37. number of different "click" sounds in the language !X˜u
> There are 48.  See the Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language for the list.
>
> 38. the business card or yellow pages ad of a person whose surname is
> historically suited to their profession, plus an etymology of their name
>
> There's no particular correct answer for this one...
>
> 39. identity of the person who said "England and America are two
> countries divided by a common language"
> George Bernard Shaw (other people who have said it were quoting Shaw!)
>
> 40. International Phonetic Alphabet symbol for a  rounded mid central
> vowel
> % It looks like a squat theta--o w/ horizontal line through it.
>
> 41. seven English words for types of food and the Native American words
> that they are derived from (identify the language, too)
> See http://www.zompist.com/indianwd.html
>
> 42. Russian word derived from the name of a British train station (& the
> name of the train station) * Russian word for train (which is something
> like boksal when transliterated in to roman alphabet) derives from
> Vauxhall Station.
>
> 43. five-letter English word that’s pronounced the same when you delete
> four of its letters
> % queue
>
> 44. name of the straight line that is used over vowels to signal that
> they are so-called "long vowels" (e.g., in dictionary pronunciation
> guides)
> % macron
>
> 45. four countries where a creole language is the most widely spoken
> language
> % There are lots of these...Sierra Leone, Haiti, Vanuatu, Mauritius,
  (Some people gave me islands that aren't