Hamburger, Iced Tea, Waldorf Salad, 1000 Island Dressing

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Thu Sep 2 10:45:46 UTC 1999

On Thu, 2 Sep 1999 Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

>     "Hamburger Steak" is in METROPOLITAN CLUB COOK BOOK, NEW YORK CITY
> (1901), pg. 44, but I'll have more citations as the NYPL puts its menus
> online.

Another useful source for citations is the Oxford English Dictionary.  The
OED has an 1889 citation for _hamburger steak_ as well as a 1901 citation
for that term.  By 1902 _hamburger steak_ was even mentioned in the
Encyclopedia Britannica.

Fred R. Shapiro                             Coeditor (with Jane Garry)
Associate Librarian for Public Services     TRIAL AND ERROR: AN OXFORD
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            ANTHOLOGY OF LEGAL STORIES
Yale Law School                             Oxford University Press, 1998
e-mail: fred.shapiro at yale.edu               ISBN 0-19-509547-2