bad

Alexey I. Fuchs c0654038 at TECHST02.TECHNION.AC.IL
Fri Sep 3 08:09:19 UTC 1999

I might be wrong, but it seems to me that the saying is semantically
similar (or, rather, similar in structure) to "my best" as in "I tried to
do my best." Provided such a phrase, one can do "his good," or,
conversely, "his bad." The "basketball court" seems to clarify that.
Besides, there are phrases in which the noun is dropped due to a huge
number of possibilities, and only the adjective stays as could be the case
of the two aforementioned sayings. When one says "It was my bad..." and
tries to continue with a noun, he might give up because the meaning is
already clear. When the noun drops, it is easy to pass the accentuation to
"my," to produce "Nobody's fault but mine."

Regards,
                                                Alexey