Fondue

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Sep 10 16:31:08 UTC 1999

FONDUE

"Though nowdays fondue is de reguer in any Alpine setting, Vaud is the
undisputed capital of the Swiss national dish and one of its most loyal
custodians."
--FODOR'S 1999 SWITYERLAND, pg. 294

     Greetings from Montreux.
     I don't have an OED handy, but (if I remember correctly) it had "fondue"
from the 1850s.  I found several recipes for "fondeau" in THE JEWISH MANUAL,
OR PRACTICAL INFORMATION IN JEWISH AND MODERN COOKERY (London, 1846), edited
by A Lady.
    (In)Accessible Archives was not checked.

HOUSE RUNNING (continued)

    It's House Running (I may have typed "horse" running).  Outventure offers
house running, canyoning, tandem paragliding, pilatus dragon flight, bungy
jumping, and crevasse abseiling titlis.  See "www.outventure.ch" for
descriptions of these new and partly new words of adventure sports.