Sounds of Chaucer's English

Grant Barrett gbarrett at AMERICANDIALECT.ORG
Sat Sep 11 15:25:49 UTC 1999

On samedi 11 septembre 1999, D. Ezra Johnson
<ezra_50 at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
>Having read about one recording that "purported to be"
Chaucer's English,
>and another that "seems to be quite good," I wonder what
contact the two
>reviewers have had with ACTUAL spoken Middle English, on which
to base their
>resepective criticism and praise! 8-)

Well, there was this one time when I fell into a time warp...

But no, really, the criticism I had of the so-called Chaucer's
English was that, to me, the speaker's American accent was too
apparent. I assume that if any modern accent should bleed through,
it would be something more British.