California fronting

Sat Sep 11 17:16:35 UTC 1999

There has been a lot of discussion of "California fronting" of round vowels
in words such as DUDE--phonetically I believe it is somewhat different from
the more established Southern round-fronting.

Am I crazy, or is almost everyone in America nowadays fronting the "long u"
as in "do," etc?
I thought that was Southern, but I hear it at least from youth all over.

And is nearly everyone fronting/raising the first part of the diphthong in
"out" etc?
That also seemed Southern but now seems ubiquitous.