United Nations; Matchbox cars

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Sep 11 20:20:44 UTC 1999

UNITED NATIONS (continued)

     I was in Geneva today, but went without "gin."  (Etymologically, at
least.)
     Fred Shapiro and I did some work on the term "United Nations."  The UN's
QUESTIONS & RESPONSES was only available in French, but has:

     ....Franklin D. Roosevelt, prononca l'expression _Nations Unies_ le 1er
janvier 1942 dans une declaration de principes relative au retablissment de
la paix.  Ces principes furent precises et elargis lors d'une conference
tenue a _Moscou_ le 30 octobre 1943.  (...)

MATCHBOX CARS

     Several companies make really small cars.  Mercedes and Swatch brought
out a small car.  The Daewoo Matiz is a small car.  The Ambia electrique is
another small car I made note of.
     I asked some people in Geneva if they had a name for them; one said that
it was a "city car."
     What about "matchbox" car?  Does anyone call them matchboxes??