Spurious "Quotes" and Apostrophe's

Dfcoye at AOL.COM Dfcoye at AOL.COM
Tue Sep 21 12:09:52 UTC 1999

<< You had great instincts.  I just looked up "dieresis" and "umlaut" in the
 dictionary (RHUD and OED)--an unusual step, I realize!--and found that the
 former both etymologically and in conventional usage represents separation or
 division, the latter both etymologically and in conventional usage represents
 a modification of sound. >>

In other words as one of my professors used to point out, in German, the two
dots are not an umlaut, they indicate an umlaut (sound shift- back vowel in
Kuh, front vowel in Kuehe --where the e represents the umlaut when you can't
type the two dots, and by the way, the two dots are simply the vestiges of a
superimposed e in earlier manuscripts).   This same professor used to call
the two dots "Toetelchen" auf Deutsch.

Dale Coye
The College of NJ