s > z

David Bergdahl bergdahl at OHIO.EDU
Wed Sep 22 16:07:56 UTC 1999

RonButters at AOL.COM wrote:

> In a message dated 9/22/1999 7:30:39 AM, preston at PILOT.MSU.EDU writes:
>
> << They are no longer there in the eastern (e.g., Kent) areas. >>
>
> My memory is that this voicing was a peculiarly Kentish feature in Middle
> English. Or is my memory playing tricks on me?

"Initial Voiceless fricative consonants are often voiced in South-Eastern
and South-Western.  Thus we find SE zenne (OE synn 'sin'), vlesshe (OE
flaesc 'flesh')"
--G. L. Brook, English Dialects (1963), p. 71
David Bergdahl          http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~bergdahl            tel:
(740) 593-2783
366 Ellis Hall     Ohio University  Athens, Ohio 45701-2979       fax:
(740) 593-2818