che/z

Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Wed Sep 22 20:15:37 UTC 1999

Scott wrote:

Didn't you mean to say "apostrophe's"?  ;{)  Too bad that accents cannot be
used on the screen by most people--I would love a list of phony accents.  My
favorite was a neon sign at a motel that advertised their night club, the
Che/z Bon--the slash being a substitute for the acute accent over the "e."
I called it the Chase Bone and, whenever acquaintances corrected me, saying
"It's French," I would respond, "As a former French professor, I can assure
you that it's not.

When I drive home by a certain route I pass a dry cleaner and tailor shop
proudly titled
       ,
     Chez Leon

with acute accent on "Chez" and not on "Leon".

Ugh.

-- Mark