Eric Harris's journal

D. Ezra Johnson ezra_50 at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 23 22:58:49 UTC 1999

>You know what I hate? People who mispronounce words, like 'acrost,' and
>'pacific' for 'specific,' and 'expresso' instead of 'espresso.'

You know what's weird? A day or two after the shootings, I read this in the
Boston Globe -- except the quote did NOT mention pacific/specific, and in
its place it DID condemn the pronunciation "ofTen".

Has someone been editing Eric Harris's orthoepic proclamations? Perhaps to
transfer the odium from a rather common usage [Oft at n] onto an
already-more-stigmatized one [p at sIfIk]?

DEJ