Baseball terms (continued)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Sep 24 04:53:40 UTC 1999

     From the New York Post of 1936 (while I was looking for the W. C. FIelds
article).

     BRONX BOMBERS--The New York Post of 18 June 1936, pg. 31, col. 1, is
headlined "Bronx Bombers Gain Speed."  This is slightly before Joe Louis's
fight with Max Schmeling in Yankee Stadium.  The article refers to "the Big
Bombers from The Bronx."  The Post didn't consistently use the term as the
World-Telegram's Dan Daniel would when he used Bronx Bombers about a month
later.

     FIREMAN (relief pitcher)--The New York Post of 24 June 1936, pg. 22,
col. 8:  "A tall young man, wearing a fireman's hat that Manager Joe McCarthy
always thought rather becoming to his blond type of beauty, arrived here
today from New York.  Johnny Murphy has rejoined the Yankees..."

      A few of these phrases antedate those in DICKSON'S BASEBALL DICTIONARY.
 From the New York Post, 12 June 1936, pg. 22, col. 6:

_Expressions_
Dear Sir:
     Here are a couple more slang baseball phrases:
     Ash heap--A rough infield.  Bad news--A contract with reduced salary.
Butter cup hitter--No power behind drives.  Can of corn--A high, lazy fly.
He took a drink--He struck out.  Yankee Doodle hitter--A weak hitter.
     PAUL TANNENBAUM

    From the New York Post, 13 July 1936, pg. 13, col. 5:

_Originality?_
Dear Sir:
     When I first read the Readers Right column I was inclined to believe
what people wrote in this column was original, but when I read Paul
Tannenbaum's baseball phrases, I felt justified in relinquishing my opinion.
I refer to the pamphlet of Famous Sluggers of 1933.  You will note that Paul
Tannenbaum copied those baseball phrases exactly as in the pamphlet.
     Karl Rosenkranz