Spanish soft g is [x]!

Sat Sep 25 02:12:10 UTC 1999

In a message dated 9/24/1999 2:41:11 PM, prez234 at JUNO.COM writes:

<< As I recall, it's hard g in ga ("amiga"), gue, gui, go ("amigo") and gu
but the rough h in
ge and gi.

If the u has a diaeresis, then gu"e and gu"i are pronounced gwe and gwi. >>

You misunderstand my question. What I was asking was not for yet another
summary of the allophones of Spanish /g/ and their realtionship top Spanish
spelling--which have now been explained several times in this thread. What I
was asking was if the terms "hard G" and "soft G"--common nonscientific terms
among English speakers for the pronunciation of <G>--were also used in
connection with Spanish--either by second-language teachers or (in
translation) by Spanish speakers themselves.