The Guineamen of Gloucester VA

Tue Sep 28 20:36:00 UTC 1999

This sounds as if it's related to the "Melungeon" legend that is widespread
in the Eastern states; these so-called "mixed" people are variously traced
to American Indians, blacks (hence Guineamen), Turks, Portuguese, Moors,
Berbers, Phoenicians, Greeks, and even Celts (the Madoc legend)--generally,
the more "exotic" and distant the better.  There's a ton of "literature" on
this, going back at least to the '20s, but for the best and most recent
review and critique (to my knowledge), contact Anita Puckett at Virginia
Tech (I don't have her e-dress handy, but she should be easy to find).