Indian summer

Thu Sep 30 17:57:12 UTC 1999

In Minnesota a first frost had to precede Indian summer (at least when I
was growing up), but I think the term is used more loosely in SE Ohio,
where, as in Mississippi, we might have a very hot and humid September and
then a sudden coolness, followed by a moderate October.  Weathercasters in
Columbus would probably stick to the northern distinction; I'm not sure
about the Huntington-Charleston people (these are the two main news/weather
centers for this area), but I'll give a listen.