Set-ups (was "Boilermakers")

Mon Apr 3 16:21:41 UTC 2000

--- "A. Vine" <avine at ENG.SUN.COM> wrote:

> > >  Patrons would bring in their own
> > > bottles, and then order coke (or some other soft
> drink) set-ups to
> > > make a mixed drink.
> >
> > It just occurred to me that "brown-bagging" might
> have been a regional
> > term since other places didn't have our
> (Mississippi's) liquor situation.
> > Was it, or do all y'all know the term?

 'Brown-bagging' and 'set-up' were common terms in
Utah in the 50's, 60's and 70's when I was growing up.
 They may still be in use, but I haven't heard either
in a long time (but, then, I'm a non-drinker).

How about 'church key' for can-opener?  I said this to
a woman - a drinker - in her 20's and got a look of
total puzzlement.

JIM