the sources of some phrases....

Tue Apr 4 03:56:54 UTC 2000

I would think that bedbugs, still trouble all over the world, are the origin
of don't let the bugs bite. I think most of the stories sound good, but they
also sound too good.

Benjamin Barrett
gogaku at ix.netcom.com

------Original Message-----
-From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On
-Behalf Of Bradley, Beth M
-> There was nothing to stop things from falling into the house.
-This posed a
-> real problem in the bedroom where bugs and other droppings could really
-> mess
-> up your nice clean bed.  So, they found if they made beds with big posts
-> and
-> hung a sheet over the top, it addressed that problem.  Hence
-> those beautiful big 4 poster beds with canopies.  I wonder if this is
-> where
-> we get the saying Good night and don't let the bed bugs bite........