"to come", "cain't be hoped", and "dope wagon"

Alfred F. Rosa arosa at ZOO.UVM.EDU
Tue Apr 4 14:21:45 UTC 2000

Ron,

Your mail caused me to remember a recent TODAY show program in which Katie
Couric thanked a singer and his group (I believe his name was Miner and
the group was somehow Air Force related) for being on the show and his
reply was, "Im so gracious and honored to be here."  I knew then that I
had to listen more closely than usual and, sure enough, in a rendering of
AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL he belts out the mondegreen, "above the fruit and
pain."

Al
^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^
Professor Alfred Rosa                  ||
Department of English                  ||
304 Old Mill                           ||
University of Vermont                  ||    "The limits of my language
Burlington, VT 05405-0114              ||     mean the limits of my
Telephone: 802-656-4139                ||     world."
Fax: 802-656-3055                      ||
e-mail: arosa at zoo.uvm.edu              ||           --Ludwig Wittgenstein
Prodigy: kgdx32a                       ||
http://www.uvm.edu/~arosa              ||