Church key

Victoria Neufeldt vneufeldt at M-W.COM
Tue Apr 4 17:33:20 UTC 2000

It seems from this discussion that  "bottle openers" don't even exist
anymore, if people can confuse them with can openers, with reference to the
kind that punch a hole in the top of a can.  I haven't tried to buy a bottle
opener in years, but then I have two and of course they last forever.  What
I have always called a bottle opener is the tool with a broad flat rounded
end that has a hole in the middle and is (was) used exclusively to open
crimped caps on beer and soft-drink bottles.  In fact I still find it easier
to use a bottle opener than to try to twist the cap off by hand, so I'm
taking good care of my church keys (a term that I also remember from years
back; and I think of it as referring only to the implement I described
above -- its business end does have the general shape of the handle of a
key).

Victoria
Merriam-Webster, Inc. P.O. Box 281
Springfield, MA 01102