you-all's

Susan Tamasi stamasi at ARCHES.UGA.EDU
Tue Apr 4 23:17:40 UTC 2000

To throw in a Georgian (or Atlantan) perspective, I agree with Natalie's
example of  "all yall's" used to refer to the hearer and those associated
with him/her.  However, for the non-posessive "all ya'll", I've
only heard this when it's used emphatically.  A prime example being "screw
all ya'll."  I never use the non-contracted phrase "you all" so I don't
know the distinction there.  And finally, I still have yet to hear anyone
use "ya'll" to refer to only one person.
-Susan