the sources of some phrases....

Anne Lambert annelamb at GNV.FDT.NET
Wed Apr 5 01:16:06 UTC 2000

Most of these sound like folk etymology, but "dirt poor" may be reasonable--or
perhaps it's jsut that the poor didn't have the opportunity and motivation to
stay clean.
    Girls carrying flowers may have a sexual symbolism--as young women are
often compared to flowers in poetry--for example Skelton's "Merry Margaret, as
midsummer flower."  I'd need to do research on this.