Italian American Slang

Alice Faber faber at POP.HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Sat Apr 8 17:23:55 UTC 2000

At 9:08 PM -0700 4/7/2000, Jerome Foster wrote, ostensibly about
Italian American Slang:

>x-html><!x-stuff-for-pete base="" src="" id="0"
>charset="iso-8859-1"><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
>Transitional//EN">
><HTML><HEAD>
><META content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" http-equiv=Content-Type>
><META content="MSHTML 5.00.2919.6307" name=GENERATOR>
><STYLE></STYLE>
></HEAD>
><BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
><DIV><FONT size=2>I don't understand this html problem but I was trying to say
>there is a "mobspeak " glossary at <A
>href="http://www.uta.fi/FAST/GC/">www.uta.fi/FAST/GC/</A>, which is the
>University of Tampere in Finland and which contains a number of
>other glossaries
>including "Strine" and Yiddish and glossaires of comparitive British and
>American usage.</FONT></DIV>
><DIV> </DIV>
><DIV><FONT size=2>Jerome Foster</FONT></DIV>
><DIV> </DIV></BODY></HTML>
>
></x-html>

You may have been sabotaged by Microsoft. My mother is dealing with
the same problem. Outlook Express is preconfigured to generate all
email in a non-standard form of HTML, and it's almost impossible to
foil it, since every single version of the program requires a
different set of arcane steps to set things up to send email in plain
text only.

A lot of us set up filters to discard unread all HTML mail, and some
servers just toss all the HTML. I don't have such a filter set up on
this computer, so I've copied the email in such a way to show all the
excess stuff you're sending.

It's possible, I suppose that you do have OE configured so as to not
normally send in HTML, but that because you put in a clickable link
to the site in Finland, this particular post was HTML.
--
Alice Faber                                       tel. (203) 865-6163
Haskins Laboratories                              fax  (203) 865-8963
270 Crown St           new improved email: faber at pop.haskins.yale.edu
New Haven, CT 06511    old email, if you must: faber at haskins.yale.edu