/or/ distinctions: TOUR

Steve K. stevek at SHORE.NET
Fri Apr 14 19:50:12 UTC 2000

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000 RonButters at AOL.COM wrote:

> In a message dated 4/14/2000 10:56:07 AM, stevek at SHORE.NET writes:
>
> << I (Northern Cities) use both /tur/ and the unfortunate past tense /turd/ >>
>
> For the past of TOUR I say /turd/--don't you mean that you say /trd/? That is
> really unfortunate!!!

If you want to get technical /t schwar d / (schwar being the schwa with
the little tail). /trd/ for me would be a Czech word (well, the final d
would get devoiced) and the 'r' is of a different quality than
schwar. [Trd isn't a Czech word, but prd is (one of the very few that I
have natively).]

--- Steve K.