Tofu donuts; Elephant socks; Hiroshima haiku

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Apr 15 09:59:22 UTC 2000

   Greetings from Kyoto.  I spend today in Nara; I saw plenty of deer, but no
monkeys.
   There was an e-mail message today, and I may be getting online OED.
   I LOST ALL MY MONEY!  OH GOD, WHAT`S GOING ON?  THE SKY IS FALLING!
THERE`S NO TOMORROW!  IS THAT TENTH FLOOR WINDOW OPEN?
   I`m taking Friday`s stock market drop a little hard.

TOFU DONUTS

   Mister Donut is everywhere!  It started in Boston, Massachusetts, in 1955.
 When I was last in Boston, it had plenty of donut shops--Dunkin` Donuts.  I
haven`t seen that franchise here.
   The Mister Donut shops also offer "Yum Cha"--Chinese tea and food.
   Some Mister Donut offerings: angel cream, frankfurt roll, french cruller,
honey churro, juicy curry, angel chocolate, adzuki cream (red bean), stick
pie, old fashioned, home cut, kinako ball, D-pup (similar to Dunkin
munchkins), and tofu donuts.
   There are several kinds of tofu donuts--sugar coated or sesame, for
example.  I like tofu and I like donuts, but I didn`t much care for them
together.  (I feel the same way about pizza ice cream.)
   There isn`t a special combo name for "tofu donuts" just yet.
   Try them this Thanksgiving, right after your "tofurky."

ELEPHANT SOCKS

   Students wear school uniforms over here.  They`re blue, with white socks.
The girls wear skirts, and some of their white socks sag.  These are called
"loose socks," or "elephant socks."
   Check "elephant socks" on the usual databases.

LEARN ENGLISH FROM CAMERON DIAZ!

   Cameron Diaz (the actress famous for MASK and THERE`S SOMETHING ABOUT
MARY) has her name and face on ads that are all over the subways in Japan.  I
couldn`t read what it was all about, but my guide today said that it`s for a
school to help people learn English.
   It`s good that Cameron Diaz is associated with the school.  I always
admired how she graduated wonderfully from the native Japanese of her birth
to the perfect English we enjoy from her today.
   Cameron Diaz?  Why Cameron Diaz?  Was Fran Drescher not available?

HIROSHIMA HAIKU

   Tomorrow I`ll be in Hiroshima.
   I was born on August 6th--an anniversary of the day the bomb was dropped
on Hiroshima.  Someone on AOL (who`s from Hiroshima) once contacted me; she
came to NYC and we saw a Broadway show.  I said I`d come to Japan, so I`ll
see her tomorrow.  No chance for romance, though--I`m NOT flying back for a
third date!
    Anyway, here`s a touching Hiroshima haiku:

August 6th birthday
Hiroshima tomorrow
AOL girlfriend awaits
Please make love, not war