East is back (was: /or/ distinctions: TOUR)

Sat Apr 15 15:10:09 UTC 2000

When I visit my family in Minnesota, I speak of Ohio as "out East," but I
never use that term here in Ohio.  It may be that to mid-country people,
speaking from mid-country, both coasts are "out."  But when I travel from
here, I go "East" or "to the East Coast," but never either "out" or "back"
East.  And even though Ohio isn't really "South," when I go to Minnesota I
go "up North."  We Midlanders don't know how to orient ourselves!