Ph.D. Camera; Sand Bath; Eyeballs; Jigoku Meguri

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Apr 18 09:14:53 UTC 2000

   Greetings from Beppu, Japan!

SAND BATH

   I just took a "sand bath" for which Beppu is famous.  They bury you alive in hot sand, for ten minutes.  (I don't know if the term is in the OED.)

PH.D. CAMERA

  There was some talk about cameras.  One person said that he had a "Ph.D. Camera"--"Push Here, Dummy!"
  (I don't have the RHHDAS P-Z handy for this phrase.)

EYEBALLS

  Nippon Air announced that it will stop painting "eyeballs" on airplanes.  The program started in 1985; supposedly, birds would be scared by the eyeballs and not fly into the engines.  However, it didn't work, so now they want to saw the money.  Does Barnhart have this term from 1985?
  Didn't you  always know some airlines fly without eyeballs?

JIGOKU MEGURI

   "Jigoku" means "burning hell."  Beppu has these "hells" or natural hot springs:

Umi Jigoku (Sea Hell)
Yama Jigoku (Mountain Hell)
Kamado Jigoku (Cooking Pot Hell)
Oniyama Jigoku (Demon Hill Hell)
Shiraike Jigoku (White Pond Hell)
Kinryu Jigoku (Golden Dragon Hell)
Chinoike Jigoku (Blood Pond Hell)
Tatsumaki Jigoku (Geyser Hell)

   The final, last ring of hell is called "The New York TImes Hell."  I told them about plagiarism of my work from their newspaper--no response.  Attached is, yes, AGAIN...