/kw/~/k/

Herb Stahlke HSTAHLKE at GW.BSU.EDU
Wed Apr 19 17:15:54 UTC 2000

I don't merge caught and cot, and I too have both kw and k, but I think it depends on sentence focus.  I'd say, "Ya got a kwarter?" but "It cost a buck'n' a karter."

Herb

>>> pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU 04/19/00 12:01PM >>>
As someone with unmerged caught and cot and with at least a mental, if not
necessarily always fully realized, [w] in "quarter" in all contexts--i.e.,
/kworter/--I'm having trouble imagining the sequences you're describing.
Do you mean you say /kwarter/ horse and /karter/ to one?!  (Or maybe you
didn't mean to imply that the merger applies to the vowel in "quarter".)

Peter Mc.

--On Wed, Apr 19, 2000 11:44 AM -0500 Beth Lee Simon
<simon at HOME2.MYSOLUTION.COM> wrote:

> I have caught/cot merger (I'm cIA), and, as I said, have [kw] in quarter
> horse, but [k] in quarter to one.
>
> beth simon

                               Peter A. McGraw
                   Linfield College   *   McMinnville, OR