/kw/~/k/

taimi metzler tmetzl at NETEZE.COM
Wed Apr 19 19:39:30 UTC 2000

i've been amazed at this discussion: where i come from (oregon, but rural and
urban), we always laughed at the [kw]arter pronunciation as something that only
people in the depths of new york city would use.

needless to say, my dialect makes no use of the [kw] variant, whether in
temporal or equine quarters.  and who has the cot/caught merger to the point
where, after years of training, i still have difficulty producing open-o on
command.

however, i'm not so sure i agree that the a-O merger simply didn't occur before
/r/--after all, there are words like 'barter' and 'arbor' to show that /a/
occurs pretty easily before /r/.  my thought is that there are two processes:
first, the merger of  a and open-o; second, the dropping of the [w] in /kw/
which i'm sure is more recent.  my thought is that what is currently [Or] began
as [or], with the lowered formants of /r/ pulling down the position of the [o]
to give [O].  i'm thinking of words like 'border', 'board', 'forget', etc.

the case of quarter ([kO]) occurred because the w-drop occurred after the a-O
merger had happened.

can anyone think of any "ar" words that have the /Or/ pronunciation that do NOT
begin with qu?

taimi

taimi metzler
umevoice, inc.