Pop and African Americans

Natalie Maynor maynor at CS.MSSTATE.EDU
Wed Apr 19 21:03:58 UTC 2000

Frank Abate:
> The PS is also revealing of the too-frequent assumption that one individual can/should speak for a whole race, which is never true (or a whole gender, etc.).  This seems to me an often overlooked point, and merits emphasis, whether the topic is language, politics, whatever.

This is why I included the PS.  I think sometimes well-intentioned
people make that kind of mistake in the name of promoting intercultural
awareness etc.  I feel sure that that's what the former teacher my
student told me about was trying to do.  But he was doing an insensitive
job of it.
   --Natalie Maynor (maynor at ra.msstate.edu)