Pop/Soda/Coke

P2052 at AOL.COM P2052 at AOL.COM
Wed Apr 19 23:35:50 UTC 2000

'Bama born and bred, I grew up saying, and hearing, nothing but "Co-COla."  Not until I learned to read  (Phonic approach) did I realize that a syllable was "missing," and,  at that point I consciously began to pronounce the missing syllable.

I do recall all people in my neighborhood's referring to all soda pops as "drinks." In fact, my little cousin asked my sisters and me, "Why do you guys call it a drink?"  She explained: "In Pittsburgh, we use the word drinks to refer to alcoholic beverages, and we use "sodas" or "pops" to refer to soft drinks."  I was enlightened!  I saw her point.  Ever since that conversation, I have referred to soft drinks as "sodas" ("Pops" doesn't sound southern enough for me), although, occasionally, I revert to my former habit.
                                      PAT