horse/hoarse

Aaron E. Drews aaron at LING.ED.AC.UK
Thu Apr 20 09:55:52 UTC 2000

on 20/4/00 12:16 AM, Dennis R. Preston wrote:

> I'm calling it short-o. That's the traditional name for the vowel in "hot."
> If you're into spelling (as I am not) that may confuse you. Go with the
> philological flow. Short-a is the vowel in "hat" and long-a is the vowel in
> "father."
>
> dInIs

So, are you saying that there is a three-way distinction between
caught-cot/hot-father (on the left bank, anyway)???  Or is it just spelling
conventions here?

--Aa

>> Now I'm confused all over again, unless there was a typo in your message.
>> I presume you meant to write "...hot (short-a)" --right?
>>
>> Peter Mc.
>>
>> --On Wed, Apr 19, 2000 3:51 PM -0400 "Dennis R. Preston"
>> <preston at PILOT.MSU.EDU> wrote:
>>

>>> hoarse has the same vowel as coat (long-o)
>>> horse has the same vowel as caught (open-o)
>>> parse has the same vowel as hot (short-o)

Aaron E. Drews                               The University of Edinburgh
http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/~aaron      Departments of English Language and
aaron at ling.ed.ac.uk                    Theoretical & Applied Linguistics

 "MERE ACCUMULATION OF OBSERVATIONAL EVIDENCE IS NOT PROOF"
  --Death