"Gig" (early cites) (was Re: "Axe" for 'guitar'?)

Fri Apr 21 19:16:50 UTC 2000

One possibile origin of 'gig': I recently heard a
(supposedly) well trained musician introduce a 'gigue'
(French for jig) to the audience as a 'gig': of
course, this could have been exactly the opposite
process, simply mistaking the more obscure word
'gigue' for the better known 'gig'.