Fukuoka food & drink

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Apr 24 12:57:47 UTC 2000

     Greetings from Fukuoka!  I return home in two days.
     I've told people that it was pronounced Fuk-u-ok-a, and that I should have a good time in this town.  Then my Japanese guide spoiled that pronunciation/idea.
     This is from FUKUOKA NOW!, April 2000, pg. 5:

     Takoyaki, those little round balls of batter with nuggets of octopus inside are normally considered take-out junk-food, but at Boogie Daco, you can enjoy these puffy balls of pleasure along with cocktails while seated at wooden sushi bar counter!  Boogie Daco manager Tsurata San's takoyaki are Osaka-style, meaning they don't have cabbage in them, and have a yummy crispy crust.An order of eight is just 400 yen, or try another "flavor" such as the Boogie Daco original, cheese and bacon filling for 500 yen.

     The Gaslight Restaurant at my Washington Hotel Canal City has these Cinema Cocktails:

Roma Holiday '53
The Graduate '63 (wrong year--ed.)
Star Wars '77
Le Grand Bleu '88
Field of Dreams '89
True Romance '93
What's Eating Gilbert Grape '93
Titanic '97

   Food Live! at Canal City had these World Cocktails:

BARRIER REEF (US)--midori, cointreau, pineapple juice, lemon juice
KIWI MAGIC (NZ)--vodka, apple liqueur, cointreau, apple juice, kiwi juice
TEQUILA COSMO (MEX)--tequila, orange curacao, cranberry juice
PASSION COCKTAIL (MEX)--gin, passionfruit juice, pineapple juice, lemon juice
CHEE-CHEE (US)--vodka, cointreau, pineapple juice, coconut cream
BLUE MARGARITA (US)--tequila, blue curacao, lime juice
GOLDEN MARGARITA (US)--tequila gold, nassau orange liqueur, lime juice
BREEZE'S SUNSET (US)--dark rum, orange juice, pineapple juice, guava juice, grenadine syrup
PASSION COOLER (non-alcohol)(MEX)--guava juice, grapefruit juice, passionfruit juice
STRAWBERRY BLUSH (non-alcohol)(US)--guava juice, peach juice, milk, grenadine syrup
CARRIBBEAN PUNCH (non-alcohol)(BAHAMAS?)--guava juice, pineapple juice, lemon juice

   Japanese Sake and Japanese Shochu are also offered.
   PRONTO (an Italian place in the same food court) adds Japan to these dishes:

Japanese-flavored spaghetti with sardine hatchling and bamboo shoots;
Japanese-style pizza with cabbage and shrimps.

    A dessert place offered pertikus (?), green ball cookies, and sable nantei.
    In other, somewhat related matters, nearly every hotel I've stayed at has offered "superloos."  Toto is the manufacturer, and the world superloo center is right here in Fukuoka!
    These superloos have me scared shit, however.  I know, I know--they spray hot water, they spray cold water, they slice, they dice.  All I do is flush the old-fashioned way.  I don't have time to play around with toilet seats!