[...]has legs

David Bergdahl bergdahl at OAK.CATS.OHIOU.EDU
Mon Apr 24 14:22:51 UTC 2000

On CBS's Sunday Morning piece on a choreographer/director (Susan ? who's
doing Music Man & Contact now) was being interviewed by a Newsday drama
critic; afterward the critic said on camera w/o Susan present that it
remains to be seen whether Susan has legs.  In the financial press and
on CNNfn or CNBC the meaning is the same: "staying power." A stock or an
index's rise "has legs" if it is sustainable.  Now, my question: is the
critic using the Wall St term with metaphorical intent or is it a term
frequently heard on Broadway?  My one theater contact--a set
designer--says she's never heard it.
-- db