Pumping someone in a bicycle

A. Vine avine at ENG.SUN.COM
Fri Apr 28 17:54:19 UTC 2000

No, it's not lewd...

Last night a friend and I saw a man riding a bicycle with his girlfriend riding
on the fron crossbar.  I said, "Oh look - that guy's pumping his girlfriend." to
which my friend, who is the same age as I am but is from upstate New York,
responded with a puzzled look.  I explained that growing up in Houston we called
giving someone a ride on your bicycle (which had no 2nd seat) "pumping".  You
could ride on the crossbar or on the fender, or sometimes even on the handlebars
(if there wasn't a basket to get in the way).  My friend called it "riding
double".  This makes me think that there are regional expressions for this - and
of course they may have changed in the last 30 years or so.

Any other terms for it?
Andrea
--
Andrea Vine, avine at eng.sun.com, iPlanet i18n architect
"The complementarity of priority information actions will reinforce