Knock-Knock

Gabor Fencsik gabor at WELL.COM
Sat Apr 29 04:27:07 UTC 2000

RonButters at AOL.COM asks:

> Does anyone know any "Knock-Knock" jokes in languages other than
> English? I'm not asking for anyone to translate for me, I'm really
> just asking on behalf of a colleague who wants to know if the
> genre is found natively anywhere except the USA.

There is a French version set to music and recorded by Josephine
Baker.  I don't know if it is a native French variant of the joke or
just a novelty import by the divine Miss Baker.  It goes "Toc-toc!"
"Qui est la'?" The song was recorded in 1937. The CD version is on
Track 14, Josephine Baker Anthologie, Encyclopedia EN 501.

-----
Gabor Fencsik