'has legs'

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Sat Apr 29 14:41:26 UTC 2000

In the discussion of 'has legs' or 'has got legs' (as in "we've yet to
see if the show's got legs"), I don't think the alcoholic sense was
discussed.

A wine or whisky 'has legs' if when you swirl it around in a glass, a
film is created on the sides of the glass, which creates long rivulets
up/down the glass--i.e., "legs" (I don't think I described that
particularly well).  You want your wine to have legs.  Perhaps the
business/show business usage of 'legs' comes from the oenophilic usage.

I was reminded of this because there's a bit in this week's _New
Scientist_ about why legs form in glasses of alcohol.  Something to do
with the evaporative qualities of alcohol, but I didn't twist my brain
enough to understand it.

Lynne

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Lecturer in Linguistics