Is it standard English? to disrespect, to partake in

Dfcoye at AOL.COM Dfcoye at AOL.COM
Sat Apr 29 19:02:15 UTC 2000

Among the words my students have at their disposal which I do not, are the
verbs 'to disrespect' and 'to partake in', as in 'He is going to partake in
the after-school activities this semester.'    I asked my class in History of
the English Language how many could say this and find nothing odd about it,
and about 90% said it was OK by them.   So the question is, has it crossed
into standard English?  Would anyone dispute that 'to disrespect' has made it
into the hallowed halls of acceptable speech?    I  decided a couple of years
ago that the weight of numbers was against me on 'disrespect' and I don't
comment on it any more, but 'to partake in' still just seems plain 'wrong' to
me.  I still dutifully write 'partake of' and it refers only to food and
drink... but I have a feeling the handwriting is on the wall...

Dale Coye
The College of NJ