earlier specimen of gank and o.g.

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Tue Aug 1 11:17:21 UTC 2000

On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Mike Salovesh wrote:

> Fred Shapiro commented:
>
> >>     According to Smitherman (_Black Talk_), an "o.g"
> >>is  an original gangster, one whose bold actions have
> >>earned him respect (props).

This wasn't me who said this.  I assume "o.g." stands for "old" followed
by some word beginning with a "g", like "girl" or "geezer."

Fred R. Shapiro                             Coeditor (with Jane Garry)
Associate Librarian for Public Services     TRIAL AND ERROR: AN OXFORD
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            ANTHOLOGY OF LEGAL STORIES
Yale Law School                             Oxford University Press, 1998
e-mail: fred.shapiro at yale.edu               ISBN 0-19-509547-2