Creole Coffee; Danish Pastry; Virginia Reel

Joanne M. Despres jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Tue Aug 1 09:41:56 UTC 2000

The evidence for our (1928) Collegiate date is a trial definition dated
12/21/28.  It reads:

Danish pastry. n. A rich pastry based on a yeast dough with the fat
mixed as in puff paste.

I see that a later citation taken from _America's Table_ (1950) by Joseph D.
Vehling contains the statement, "In 1917-18 the newspapers and the
menus of the nation were full of 'Danish Pastry', due to the activities of a picturesque, hitchiking patriotic baker from
Copenhagen who . . . [text ends at this point]."  I suppose that's a pretty
good lead for somebody who has the time and inclination to read
through newpapers of the era.

Joanne M. Despres
Associate Editor
Merriam-Webster, Inc.
47 Federal St.
Springfield, MA  01102
E-mail:  jdespres at Merriam-Webster.com