Flipping the bird? and Morse

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Aug 2 03:32:25 UTC 2000

At 10:30 AM -0400 8/2/00, Lyons, Jennifer M wrote:
>...Also, recently, my mother and I had a little "argument" over how to
>pronounce the word "Morse", as in Morse Code.  She said it was pronounced
>like "morris", while I say it rhymes with "horse".  (Sorry, I don't know how
>to do the IPA in email....)  This morning, the radio traffic reporter said
>"morris", too.  Any observations on this?

For what it's worth, everyone here at Yale, Samuel F. B. Morse's alma
mater, pronounces it to rhyme with "horse" (not with "Horace").
There are Morse fellows here and a Morse (residential) College, in
honor of Samuel and of the funds bequeathed by Susan, an heir
(daughter?  granddaughter?) of his.  I don't know how he pronounced
it himself, though.

Larry