"greengrocer's apostrophe" (was Re: Cam(pb)ell)

jester at PANIX.COM jester at PANIX.COM
Fri Aug 4 14:42:42 UTC 2000

> In a message dated 8/4/2000 10:20:32 AM, laurence.horn at YALE.EDU writes:
>
> << I don't know ANY label for the
> innovative quotes-for-emphasis Steve mentions, though. >>
>
> Larry nodded here. The term is SCARE QUOTES--which I'm sure he knows.

You're nodding here, Ron! Scare quotes are different--these
are quotes placed around something to indicate that the writer
finds a particular term worthy of attention in some way (e.g.
the thing being quoted is not the usual term, or represents
a troublesome viewpoint, or whatever). _Scare quotes_ refer to
one possible correct use of quotes.

The purely emphatic use of quotes, as in Steve's "'fresh' produce!",
is different, and AFAIK does not have a name.

Jesse Sheidlower