The "right" definiution of " 'scare' quotes"

P2052 at AOL.COM P2052 at AOL.COM
Sat Aug 5 02:35:40 UTC 2000

I don't get it.  I've never heard of scare quotes, but I do know that
quotation marks are used to enclose words used in a special or ironic sense.
For emphasis, words are rendered in bold print or capital letters, or are
underlined or italicized (or any combination of the preceding).  In fact,
almost any unusual presentation of a word will draw attention to it,
including enclosing it in quotation marks; however, the grammar books/style
manuals that I've used as a guide do not cite quotation marks as a device for
emphasizing a word.      P-A-T