"greengrocer's apostrophe"

Sat Aug 5 19:25:30 UTC 2000

In a message dated 8/5/2000 12:37:55 PM, zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU writes:

<< is my family the Zwickys?  the Zwicky's?  the Zwickies? >>

Arnold prefers ZWICKYS, but it seems to me that ZWICKIES is much more
appropriate, given its resemblance to WHEATIES, the choice of champions,
COOKIES, and other wonderful things. (What, though, is a WHEATY?)

My family, unfortunately, will have to be the BUTTERSES, I guess, which looks
like the name of a family of Celtic languages spoken by that very unfortunate
character in William Boroughs novel, NAKED LUNCH.